BBB Scam Tracker
BBB Scam Tracker
BBB Scam TrackerSM Reporting Tool
BBB Scam TrackerSM is an online tool that enables consumers and businesses to report scams in an effort to prevent others from falling prey to similar cons. The easy-to-use tool collects and presents scam data in a searchable online “heat map,” showing users the number and types of scams and hoaxes reported in their communities.
Data & Research
As a non-partisan, neutral organization, BBB Institute is able to produce research that provides fresh insights into the scam landscape. Using data pulled from BBB Scam TrackerSM and other sources, we provide fresh insights by identifying the latest tactics used by scammers.
- Timely, crowdsourced data.
- Reports verified by local BBBs.
- Neutral, non-partisan organization.
- Insights translated into consumer education and awareness programs.
- Findings shared with law enforcement.
Our BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report provides groundbreaking insights built from BBB Scam TrackerSM data. The Risk Report was the first research report to introduce the Risk Index, a new three-dimensional measure of scam risk based on exposure, susceptibility and monetary loss. DOWNLOAD RESEARCH
In our seminal study, Cracking the Invulnerability Illusion: Stereotypes, Optimism Bias, and the Way Forward for Marketplace Scam Education, BBB Institute surveyed consumers in the United States and Canada to identify the stereotypes and misperceptions around scam victimization that are a barrier to effective outreach to at-risk populations. DOWNLOAD RESEARCH
In our latest research project with the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Scams and Your Small Business, we used survey data and Scam TrackerSM data to provide insights on scams targeting small businesses. DOWNLOAD RESEARCH
- Riskiest scams of 2018: Employment Scams, followed by Online Purchase Scams, Fake Check/Money Order Scams, Home Improvement Scams and Advance Fee Loan Scams. (Source: 2018 BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report)
- 2018 riskiest scams for ages 18-24, 25-34, 45-54: Employment Scams (Source: 2018 BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report)
- 2018 riskiest scams for students: Employment Scams (Source: 2018 BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report)
- 2018 riskiest scams for the military: Employment Scams (Source: 2018 BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report)
- 2018 most impersonated organization: IRS (Source: 2018 BBB Scam TrackerSM Risk Report)
- Top misperception: Contrary to widely held beliefs, millennials, rather than seniors, are most likely to have been scammed. Seniors, on the other hand, are more likely to lose more money. (Source: Cracking the Invulnerability Illusion: Stereotypes, Optimism Bias, and the Way Forward for Marketplace Scam Education)
- Top Riskiest Scam Targeted at Small Businesses: Bank/Credit Card Imposter Scams, followed by Directory Listing and Advertising Scams and Fake Invoice/Supplier Bill Scams. (Source: Scams and Your Small Business Report)